It’s no secret that I love local & love a good story. Inspired by Matt Corker’s list of 10 gifts he loves to give, here are a few local companies & entrepreneurs that make my go-to gift goodies.
disclosure: many of these wonderful people I also call good friends. I suspect once you meet them, so will you…
A dive into designing your most desired life.
the goodie: The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte.
Going through this beautiful book and exercise will not only open you up to a space of inspiration and joy, but also help answer the question of “how do you want to feel today?”, and then design your life around that.
Treat your taste buds.
the goodie: Vancouver Farmer’s Market tokens
I LOVE food. It’s my language of love, my creative outlet. Hosting dinner parties makes my heart happy. When I can source all the food from local, organic farmers, I am even happier. The Winter market is going on now at Nat Bailey Stadium. Head on over, treat yourself to a delicious food truck lunch, and grab some tokens to gift (they work basically as cash/gift cards). Some of my fav vendors:
- Forstbauer Farm Organic- I work here every Saturday so I am a bit biased (come say hi!), but their organic, biodynamic veggies + frozen blueberries + grass-fed/finished beef will rock your world
- For your glutenous needs: A Bread Affair (their organic burger buns are unreal) + Purebread (this Whistler bakery will blow your socks off. My man drools over their outrageous choco brownies)
- Pasta Famiglia is the best handmade pasta this side of Italy. Make sure you ask Peter to share a recipe or two with you.
- Gelderman Farm- bacon.
- Klippers Organic- sister farm to Forstbauers, their apples & tomatoes are packed with amazing flavah.
- The Farm House Natural Cheese: CHEESE! And buttermilk.
- Poplar Grove Organic Hazelnuts will make you forget all about Nutella.
- Harvey’s Orchards dried organic cherries are an explosion of goodness.
- Sawmill Bay’s mussels are so fresh & meaty.
- Sleeping Mountain’s organic ground turkey makes meatballs like no other.
The gift of beauty.
- Hume Atelier: not only is their handmade jewelry absolutely beautiful, they also use FairTrade, FairMined gold, in addition to 100% post-consumer recycled gold and platinum. They spent have of their time working with international organizations on changing the way mining is done in the world, and work solely with ethically sourced diamonds and gemstones. (my beautiful engagement ring made by Hume Atelier pictured below)
- Nicole Bridger: ethical materials + beautiful comfortable clothing = a win.
- Zoe Pawlak: art art art that brings zen to your life.
- Litchfield: because a life well lived is a legacy.
To quench your thirst.
- Teaja Tea: the finest quality organic loose leaf tea. I have too many favourites to name, stop by their Yaletown location to explore & indulge.
- Fat Tug IPA from Driftwood Brewery. The best. The brewery is on the island but you can buy at most local liquor stores.
- Domaine de Chaberton winery- I like a deep glass of red, however their whites also blow me away, particularly the Reserve Siegerrebe. If you’re going over, you might as well stay for dinner, it’s a great treat.
- Almost Chocolate & The Green from The Juice Truck hit the spot. A wellness shot is just what this cold weather calls for.